Friday, August 25, 2017

Rice-Ah-Roni � The San Francisco Treat?

While it�s true this great side dish was invented in The City, to call it �the San Francisco treat� is a bit of a stretch. Like I said in the video, the next time I see this served around here, will be the first. I�d say a Mission-style burrito is the real San Francisco treat. Which reminds me, I seriously need to do that video.

Regardless, if you like the stuff from the box, I think you�ll enjoy this, although without all that MSG, it will not be quite as savory. I guess we�re sacrificing a little less flavor for something that�s more healthful, at least according to me. I�ve stopped trying to convince people that eating lots of MSG is not a great idea; but as far as how it impacts one�s diet and carb cravings, I think the research is clear. In fact, forget the research, and just ask yourself why so many people are addicted to fast food.

It�s certainly not the quality, or appearance. Having said that, if you do want to get closer to the original, simply use a cheap, powdered chicken base to make your broth. That stuff is loaded with MSG, among other things, and may be preferable to many of you drive-thru junkies, he said judgmentally. Either way, I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely diced onions
2/3 cup orzo pasta, or spaghetti broken into small pieces
1 1/3 cup white long grain rice
3 cups high-quality chicken broth
Spice blend:
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more if needed
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon celery salt
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley


EmoticonEmoticon