Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Denver Omelet � Denver, Colorado, Not Denver, France

This Denver omelet was one of the first things I learned how to make professionally, during my brief, but exciting career as a short order cook in high school. So, it was a little disconcerting to learn when I arrived at culinary school that everything I had done was totally wrong.

According to the chefs teaching me how to make a classic French omelet, my Denver omelet was overcooked, over-browned, and included too many ingredients.  It was made very clear that if I made that for my exam, I would fail, which was confusing since I thought they were really good, and the people at the diner where I�d worked seemed to agree.

Over the years, I�ve come to appreciate both styles of omelet, and understand they really are two entirely different things. I�m not sure exactly why, but I seem to prefer the softer French version for breakfast, and this heartier American-style for lunch, or dinner. Maybe it�s the browning, or denser texture, but it really does make for a great �can�t figure out what to have for dinner� idea.

As with all omelets, feel free to toss in anything you want, but just be sure to cook it long enough before adding the eggs.  To me there�s nothing worse than an omelet with crunchy, undercooked vegetables in it, and that�s really the only way to screw this up. But, no matter what you use, or when you enjoy this, I really do hope you give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for one Denver omelet:
1 tablespoon butter
3 large eggs
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup diced smoked ham
2 tablespoon finely diced onion
2 tablespoon finely green bell pepper
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne


EmoticonEmoticon